Merit Contractors Association is committed to developing Alberta’s construction workforce.
To ensure our industry’s continued success, there are the Merit Educational Initiative Grants.
In order to build the construction sector with new, energetic and skilled employees, Merit annually meets with several school representatives throughout the province. Merit looks for strategic partnerships to provide Alberta students with viable learner pathways, in-demand job skills, and career opportunities in the skilled trades industry.
2015-16 Educational Initiatives Partners:
Centre High Campus
- Created a Skilled Trades Introduction Program
- Hired a trades liaison coordinator
Northern Lights School Division
- Opened a construction lab in Cold Lake Middle School
- Provided funding for a trades learning centre.
Kainai High School
- Created an introduction to construction program.
SAIT and Calgary Board of Education
- Created a dual credit plumbing program
Red Deer Junior High and High Schools
- Offer teachers hands-on professional development experiences
Chinook Regional Foundation for Career Transitions
- Funded a safety boot camp