Merit pays for schooling.
Successfully complete apprenticeship training, get your tuition reimbursed.
The Tuition Refund Program reimburses tuition fees for field employees (members of Hour Bank plan) of Merit Alberta member firms, for each successful period of technical apprenticeship training. The refund can be issued to individual member employees or, where employers have reimbursed or paid for the employee’s tuition, directly to the Merit member company/employer.
Despite the economic difficulties we face, Merit’s Board of Directors believes it is still important to assist the next generation of skilled trades workers. We are continuing with our tuition refund program. Tuition refunds for indentured apprentices are capped at 2016 levels.
• Successfully complete the apprenticeship training period at a publicly-funded training facility (NAIT, SAIT, Red Deer College, etc.).
• Return to work full-time for a Merit Alberta member firm and work a minimum of 150 hours (approximately one month).
• Employees who begin training immediately upon hire will be reimbursed after completion of the training period and once they have worked a minimum of 300 hours (approximately two months).
• Employees who choose to work through school training will be reimbursed, if required hours have been achieved upon completion of the course
• An employee leaving a Merit Alberta member firm will be eligible for a tuition refund if he/she finds work with another Merit Alberta member firm and meet all other criteria within six months of course completion.
• Membership firms that pay for an employee may also be reimbursed.
Frequently Asked Questions
1: Do I have to wait until I have worked 150 hours before sending the claim form and supporting documents?
No, you can send the form and documents in before. We will track the hours your company reports for your benefits.
2: I haven’t received my letter or marks from the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training what can I do?
A digital copy should be available to you on your MyTradesecrets Profile on the Alberta Advanced Education website
Once you are on the site, click on Applications, then click on Details, then open the PDF labeled Apprentice Past Technical Training. This will show you the letter and marks required.
3: Is there a time limit to send in the claim form?
Yes. We must receive the claim form, supporting documents and you must have worked 150 hours with a Merit Alberta company within 6 months of the completion date on your letter from the Alberta Apprenticeship Board.
4: I have banked hours from before I attended school. Will these count for the 150 hours?
No, we require that you work with a Merit member after completing and passing your course.
5: Can I email my claim and documents?
Yes, you can email your documents to email@example.com.
6: I emailed my application in four weeks ago. Why haven’t I received a cheque yet?
Our process takes approximately six to eight weeks to complete. We process the refunds in the order they are received. We also need to verify the correct paperwork is attached and all hours are worked.
7: I work in Saskatchewan. Your website form says for Merit Alberta. Can I still receive a tuition refund?
No, not from Merit Contractors Association Alberta. You need to contact the Merit Association in the province where your employer is a member.
Send your claim form to:
Merit Contractors Association
103, 13025 St Albert Trail NW
Edmonton, AB T5L 4H5
Phone: 780.455.5999 or 1.888.816.9991